“My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.” 1 John 3:18

Monday, May 16, 2011

Finding Shelter

In April, I chaperoned my daughters’ Girl Scout camping trip. By then, a couple weeks into spring, you would normally expect comfortable, warm temperatures. The first weekend of April this year, we experienced temperatures in the 30’s, hail, and rain. Our campsite was what is referred to as “Glen shelters” – i.e. wood cabins, open windows, screen door, no insulation (think, those little playhouses on children’s play structures).

All day, the troop leader, the other chaperones, and I talked and joked about how cold it would be that night. After dinner in the heated, indoor lodge, we headed back to our campsite where one of the mothers had built a fire for roasting marshmallows. It was fun for awhile, dancing around in our gloves, hats, coats, and eating almost burnt marshmallows off of found tree limbs. When the bag was empty, there was nothing else to do but get in our sleeping bags and go to sleep.

Fully dressed, including hat and gloves, I climbed into my sleeping bag. Shivering, I looked out the screen door at the stars blinking back at me thru the freezing air. Is this what it feels like to be homeless? Worrying everyday about what the evening will bring. Wondering if your possessions will be safe until you awake. Waiting to see how cold it will get when it gets dark. Watching the night sky for rain or hail or snow. Willing your body to generate extra heat. Wishing for a home.

I didn’t even last five minutes in my sleeping bag. I gathered my daughter and her friend and our sleeping bags and headed up to the empty lodge. The camp leader was there, preparing for the next day. I told her it was too cold to be outside and we just wanted a corner to sleep in, we’d even help set up breakfast if she wanted any help. I thanked God that I had an option, as I realized that there are thousands of people in our cities that have no choice.

The Jeffers Family Reclamation Foundation was founded as a legacy to its namesake, Pastor Zachary C. Jeffers, by his devoted wife and children. His church was located in Baltimore City where, by the 2009 Homeless Census count, over 3400 people, including children, were homeless. Each night, these people look for security in the city’s shelters or sleep on its streets. Our Foundation’s mission is to help the families that find themselves separated by homelessness. We seek to enrich them spiritually through Christ-centered programs, assist their children with their educational goals, and help them get back into a home of their own.

The Jeffers Family Reclamation Foundation was founded by a family to help families. We hope you will join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment